Sunday, March 7, 2010

I left my heart behind today

Today was wonderful and hard at the same time. We had a great time playing with the kids at Coco's orphanage. They really warmed up to us even moreso today since they had gotten to know us a bit more. We painted faces, did puffy paints on t-shirts, the guys played soccer with some of the older kids and I got to stack blocks with little Ariel - the little boy I wrote about yesterday. He was so much more comfortable and less shy today than he was at the beach yesterday. I think because it was his third time seeing us. I did get to pick him up and wipe the paint off his hands and help feed him some jello. He was having a hard time scooping it out himself cause it was pretty liquidy. It was so cute to interact with him - he's so precious. He walks around a lot with his hands in his mouth and he seems kind of scared in general. I really think based on how he acts and his next oldest sibling acts - there's probably a good chance that there has been some violence in their life. It just breaks my heart to think of the things these kids have been through. Please be praying for all of them that wonderful, loving parents would adopt them. Ariel is 2 and has 4 siblings. There were a handful of other kids there too. One with MS, another who is blind, a baby, a 17 year old and several kids in the 6-9 year old range. Ariel's older brother Antonio was not there the first day we came but he was there yesterday at the beach. Our translator was telling the kids about Jesus today and he was so attentive and interested. He was sitting on the top of the couch and I was standing behind him. I put my hand on his back and didn't know how he would respond. He wrapped his arms around me and put his head on my chest. It was so precious and I just saw how much he so desperately wanted that love. It was so hard to leave them. Every single one of us was crying. Whew - so emotional yet we go into this knowing we'll experience some of this. The Lord indeed breaks our hearts for what breaks His. And we go to share Him with the kids. He is a father to the fatherless. I pray that they heard that message I pray that will stay with them long after we leave. Tomorrow we are going to have our last day at the other orphanage Villas Del Mar. We'll surely have a great time but again - it will be heartbreaking to leave. I just pray we leave the message of Christ when we go and that the kids will fully understand that His love for them is why we came.


No comments: