Friday, October 15, 2010

Haiti - here I come!

I leave in the morning for a week in Haiti. I love how the Lord works - when I left in June, I had no idea I'd be going back just a few months later. And I definitely had no idea that I'd not only want to go back, but I'd be as excited as I. I cannot wait to see those kiddos again and get to spend more time at the same orphanages to be able to get to know the kids this time. And to be able to bring lots of stuff to help them.

I'm the type of person who likes to meet needs and when we went in June - it was a hard trip for me because we didn't get to meet as many needs as I would have liked. It was a scouting trip in a lot of ways so we were someplace different every day but it was certainly beneficial to go - otherwise, we wouldn't have identified the places we'll visit this time. But still - it was hard seeing all that we saw and not feeling personally that I had really helped much. But now - I get to go back and lead a team and bring help. We have a small team but I fully trust it'll be big impact! There are 6 of us total and the team has raised extra funds to be able to help the orphanage with things like a new stove. We are bringing a plastic bin for each kid that will have their own personal toiletries in it - deodorant, shay butter, toothbrush, toothpaste, wash cloth, comb and bar soap. I am pretty sure these kids have probably never each had their own set of those things. We are also bringing stuff to decorate those toiletry kits so each kid can make it their own. And the team came up with some great ideas for arts & crafts - we'll be helping the kids made these really cool suncatcher necklaces and one of the girls on the team is bringing journals for every kid. Someone else on the team is printing out some bible verses on stickers so the kids can pick one and put it on the inside of their journal that they will also decorate. Our awesome translator and friend, Daniel Vallon, translated them for us so we are printing them out in Creole. The 2nd orphanage we are visiting sent me an email saying they needed some sheets and backpacks and some other items - and we are bringing a backpack for all 44 kids, and all the things they need. On top of all that exciting stuff - Sweet Sleep is providing beds for 44 kids at Children Household of Tomorrow orphanage where most of the kids are currently sleeping on the floor. We get to tell them how much God loves them and that every night when they go to sleep in their new bed (with sheets), to remember that God loves them so much that He sent us to give them these beds. I am so thrilled and thankful to Sweet Sleep for providing for these kids in such a tangible way!

I'm excited to say the least. But I'm also fully aware that it's gonna be hard to leave in a week and come home. You get attached to these kids when you go and spend considerable amounts of time with them. Usually one or two really steals your heart and it's a different kid for each team member - but it always happen - we each fall in love and want to be a mom to these precious kids who don't have one. I'm not gonna lie - it's heartwrenching at times. But that's not a reason not to go. It just reminds us of why we do what we do and keeps us passionate to do more, to help the least of these. God does break our hearts for what breaks His. So my prayer request is - pray for our team, for unity, guidance, strength, protection and for our hearts. I will blog often so stay tuned for photos and updates. I know God is up to something big - I can feel it! And I'm thrilled to be part of it!

No comments: