Friday, April 22, 2011

To Be A Mom




For some reason today, I started thinking about what it means to be a mom. And how for so long, I’ve been saying “I can’t wait to be a mom someday”. And all of a sudden on this Good Friday afternoon, I just had a revelation that I am a mom! Firstly, I’m an adoptive mom to a 1 year old dog named Auty. On top of that, last week I got to be a mom to several kids in Haiti who fell asleep in my arms not to mention countless others that I got to hug, kiss, play with and tell about how much Father God loves them. I got to be a mom when I had the honor of serving lunch to 30 kids. I get to be in a mom-like role when I teach Sunday school, babysit or even just lend a shoulder to a hurting friend. Those are all mom-like roles. So while I don’t have a biological or adopted human child YET - I am still a mom in many ways. And that revelation makes me smile!!! The truth is - I was made to be a mom and I find the most joy in that kind of a role. I always have. I like to take care of other people. And I kept waiting and waiting until I got to be a mom someday and truth be told - the more trips I go on, the more I want to have a child but until then - what a cool perspective the Lord gave me today when lo and behold - He just showed me that I already am a mom in so many ways!!!! How cool is that? And not only that, but people are actually using that title now because of Auty. I had to take Auty to the vet today cause she has this gross eye gunk and I wanted to make sure it was nothing wrong. They said they thought it was probably allergies which makes sense cause I have major allergies right now too. As I was waiting in the lobby with her for the appointment though, the lady at the desk called me mom several times. It made me smile cause I had started writing this blog about being a mom before I left the house. When they told me to bring Auty back, she said “ok, mom - you can bring her back now”. I love being called mom even more than I thought I would!! I always knew I wanted to be a mom and how awesome that not only am I a mom in a sense to orphans and other people I get to care for in a mom-like role from time to time - but people are officially, actually calling me mom. Many people will likely not get why but I think that is totally awesome!!! I was telling my chiropractor today that I got a dog and he said “dogs are a lot of work huh?” and I had to stop and think about it because honestly, it doesn’t feel like it is work at all. I think part of that is because I was blessed with the most awesome sweet natured dog in the universe. And part of it is because of how God made me. I thrive in the mom role! That’s the best way to describe it. What a divine discovery to have a new point of view - I’m not missing out on motherhood - although I do VERY much want to be a mom to a child someday - I can embrace it now! It’s interesting to have that ah ha moment today, on Good Friday - when we recognize Jesus ultimate sacrifice for us. Father God sent His only son to die for me! How deep the Father’s love for us! And how sweet of the Father to remind me of that love today and to not only remind me of His parent love toward me but to show me a new view into how He made me to love as a parent and beyond that - how He has already been using that mothering gift in more ways than I even realized. Thanks Lord for showing me that today and thanks for giving me the honor of getting to be a mom - whether it’s for a day or a lifetime - I am blessed by that honor!

2 comments:

Shebecomes said...

I had to stop and leave you a comment after reading this post...because we are in very similar places in life! I actually wrote a guest post recently about this very thing on a blog called "Imperfect People"...here is the link if you want to read it

http://www.imperfectpeople.net/post/2011/05/09/A-mothere28099s-heart-Rebeccae28099s-Story.aspx

And on a side note, I have baby of my own as well...he is a 3 year old previously abused pit bull that calls me mom :) I've had him for almost 2 years now.

God Bless!

Shebecomes said...

P.S. I think you have my dream job (just checked out the website :)